Wednesday, January 05, 2005

A Typical Training Week

A Typical Training Week

So what is a typical week for this 48 year-old guy like on a bicycle – how do I train?

I try to put in anywhere from 7 to 11 hours a week on my bike. It really depends on if I’m in a base period or a build period – more on base/build periods in a future post. This posting is just to give you an idea of a typical week, so let’s go.

Because of job commitments I save my long rides for the weekend. I try to ride a minimum of 2.5 to 3 hours on both days. Depending on the terrain, this could be anywhere from 45 to 55 miles. Now that I’m getting closer to my racing season, I’ll start bumping these long rides up to 50 – 70 miles.

I train six days per week and usually take Friday off (TGIF with my co-workers.) Monday and Wednesday is usually a weight lifting workout; these run about an hour. Sometimes I’ll do an easy 23-mile ride on one of those days instead. On Tuesday, I usually do either hill repeats; 4 X 90 seconds up a 6-8% incline. I stay in the saddle (my seat) for 60 seconds than gear down and stand up for the last 30 seconds. I take a 3 minute break, riding easily then do it again. Or I do sprint intervals; 4 X 2:00 minutes at high speed with a 3 minute break after the speed workout. Both of these workouts usually run about 1 hour and can cover anywhere from 18 to 20 miles.

On Thursday I usually do a 23-mile ride that has some mixed terrain in it. I tend to ride it fast, usually covering the distance with an average speed of 19-21 mph.

How much ground does this week cover? About 90 – 200 miles. In the summer, with the long days and the fact that I’m a high school teacher (don’t work in the summer) I would put in closer to 200 miles. In the winter, like now, I have to teach, and it gets dark so early, so I only put in 90 to 140 miles/week.

Of course, family life, weather, etc. can play havoc with this schedule and you have to be flexible. I have a Blackburn Trackstand Mag Trainer, a device that turns my road bike into a stationary bike. This is good when the weather goes to hell and there is no way I’m going to get my bike on the road. But I hate these workouts and just try to gut out anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes on the trainer.

So there you go. I actually use a coaching service that I access via the Internet. This will make for a future post too - so I'll write about this service, I use TrainingPeaks, in a later article. For now, just get on your bike and start putting in mileage - you'll be ready for intervals and hill repeats in no time.



Devil's Punch Bowl RR 4-30-05 Posted by Hello
My Photo
Name:
Location: Quartz Hill, California, United States

Powered by Blogger

Listed on Blogwise

Drop me an email at : biobob56@msn.com